Wednesday, February 24, 2010

My sick baby

Vienna had a low fever pretty much all weekend and on Monday morning I noticed her one ear was red and had a little leakage. Colson has never had an ear infection so I immediately went online to do a little research. Thank you, WebMD!

Anyway, it definitely seemed that Vienna had an ear infection and I read that they can go away on their own (I'm not all about giving our kids antibiotics), but Joel thought we should go to the doctor and have him check it out. It is free here, so why not!

We asked our amazing neighbor and friend to go with us to translate. We are getting better at communicating, but when it comes to medical terms, we are totally lost!

She was sweet enough to drop everything she was doing and go along with us to translate. Of course the doctor prescribed some antibiotics and said to bring her back in 10 days to check on her ear. He also reprimanded us because Vienna has never had her 12-month vaccinations. We told him we are delaying them until she is a little older and also will not be giving her more than one at a time anymore, but he didn't like that.

The doctor and nurse were so concerned, it was sweet to see how much they cared about Vienna! They actually called us about a week after her first birthday to let us know she was late in getting her vaccinations! How many doctors do you know that will call YOU?

Anyway, since Vienna has been sick she has wanted to be held all.the.time! I was just loving it! Of course I didn't like that she was sick and in pain, but I loved being able to hold her and snuggle her all day long. Not too much got done around the house, but that's okay, because snuggling with my sick baby was so worth it!

Today Vienna is feeling a lot better and seems to be back to her normal, active self!

This is how we spent most of the weekend



Colson wanted to be babied too. Yes, we have two thumb-sucking kids :)

3 comments:

  1. Hello. Thanks for sharing your story. I love reading. I did want to share with you something I have learned about Ear infection and a natural cure. :) If you can find Garlic Juice or like a garlic jell. Put that in the ears and it sucks the moisture out. :) I did it on my son. I was not sure at first..But after 3 anitbiotoics and an eye surgery comeing up I had to do something. I tried it and it was gone in a couple days and have not had one since for the past year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both my kiddo's had chronic ear infections and ended up with ear tube surgeries around a year old...so I totally can empathize with you...ear infections are no fun! Except for the extra cuddles of course =)

    Hope she is feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pictures!! I am learning more and more to just let the trivial stuff go and spend more time snuggling. The thumb sucking is the best part! Judah was a finger sucker and Heidi is a thumb sucker! I love sweet babe pictures!!

    ReplyDelete