Tuesday, February 8, 2011

One week home!

First of all, thank you for all your encouraging comments on my last post. I can tell people are praying because the last two days I have not shed a single tear :) 


Yohanis has been home for a week now and he is doing so well. I mean, he was doing great last week too, but this week has been even better. He seems much happier and is really starting to open up more. He is also eating a lot better. He is actually trying different foods instead of completely refusing like before. He loves fruit, especially bananas and oranges, but getting him to eat vegetables has been a bit more difficult. Yesterday we got him to try corn. When he first saw it he told me he didn't want any. So I put a tiny bit on his plate and told him just to try it. He sniffed it (like he does with everything) and then took a bite. He LOVED it and had three more helpings. Success!

One thing that has been a bit difficult is when something doesn't go his way. He gets mad and then just completely shuts down. He won't do anything and we can't talk to him or hold him and it takes him a long time to come around. The first few days it happened pretty often, but the last two days have been great. I noticed the days that were harder were days that were busier, like on Friday morning when we took him to the doctor the rest of the day was kind of rough. We have just been trying to keep life simple and keep his world small for awhile. The last two days have been pretty low-key and they have gone much more smoothly.

Yohanis, Colson and Vienna are still all getting along so well. I am amazed! All three of them love playing together, I'm surprised more fights haven't broken out since sometimes three is a crowd. But not these three. I mean, they have their moments, but for the most part they do very well sharing and playing together. Their favorite activities include playing dominoes, sliding down the steps and dancing around in the living room.

Yohanis' English is growing by leaps and bounds. He is already understanding us a lot more and saying more words on his own without our prompting. He absolutely LOVES my sister's cd and about 20 times a day he runs up to me and asks: "Mommy, music?" then runs into the kitchen to turn on the cd. He already has the first two songs memorized, this kid learns fast!

I am doing better too. I am feeling a lot more like myself and like we're starting to find our groove. The last two days have been so much fun! And I love that Yohanis feels so comfortable with us and loves showing both of us so much affection. He especially loves his Daddy! My favorite thing is to hear him say I love you with his cute little accent. Melts my heart! And he gives the absolute best hugs!!
 






 














2 comments:

  1. great news!!! i have to say, i thought his smiles looked a little forced in the last post, but they are truly genuine in this one. love the shot of him holding vienna - he looks so proud! and the snuggling with daddy pics - brought tears to my eyes. he is such a handsome little boy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. love love LOVE the pic of him with his little sister. You will make it through these first six months and IT WILL GET BETTER. Oh and that shut down and refuse to have anything to do with anyone when things don't go his way...I found out other adoptive parents call that the "Ethiopian pout." Made me feel a lot better : )

    ReplyDelete