Monday, July 21, 2014

Ramadan 2014

This past month has been busy, busy, busy to say the least. It is the last week of Ramadan and I'm so thankful it is almost over. We have been invited to many an Iftar and since Ramadan falls over the middle of the summer this year that means our friends are only breaking their fast around 8:45 in the evening. 

I love being invited to these special meals when the fast is broken, but at the same time it has been a lot of late nights and grouchy kids! Late nights and little sleep have finally caught up with me and this week it hit me hard. This morning I woke up and was already exhausted and ready for the day to be over at 8:30. I feel like I've been an impatient, grumpy mommy and my extremely introverted self has been needing to find some time to sit back, slow down, reflect and rest in His presence. 

Sometimes I feel like our local friends see us at our worst. They see us when our kids are up way past their bedtime and having meltdowns all over the place, and we are tired and our Turkish is slow and all mixed up. 

So many times I've questioned God about what difference are we really making here and so many times he has reminded me that he IS using our loud, crazy family that has a pile of kids that everyone in the neighborhood knows (and hears from 3 doors down) and that in our weakness He is strong. It is comforting to know that we don't have to have it all together or all figured out before God can use us. He can and is using us, right here, right now, just as we are. And today I'm comforted by that and so thankful for his grace and that his mercies are new every morning!

 




And just for fun, here is my Ramadan post from two years ago (we missed Ramadan last year since we were in the States).

No comments:

Post a Comment