Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Ups and Downs

So it's been awhile, eh?

I think I've been silent on here because I usually like this blog to be a happy, positive place but life isn't always happy and positive and so I've been quiet.

To be honest we've been dealing with some tough stuff. When we moved here we did not expect it would be easy and it certainly hasn't been. We live in a very spiritually dark place and we have felt that SO much lately. Recently we've seen some breakthroughs with our friends and it's so exciting to see God softening hearts to the truth. BUT it does not come without a fight and I feel like we've been in such an intense spiritual battle lately and we are weary.


So, if you would like to pray for us, we'd love that! We sent out an email to friends the other week asking them to pray and we've noticed a difference. If you would also like to pray for us please email me at joelandcharity@swissmail.org and I can give you more specific ways to pray. 


Okay, now on a more positive note:

I FINALLY went in for my first prenatal appointment. Yes, I'm 19 weeks pregnant and only went in last week. I was really dragging my feet about finding a place to get prenatal care here, partly because it's just so stressful doing things like that in a foreign country. But after praying about it and talking to some friends we found a great place to go. 

The doctor was really nice and between our Turkish and his English we did just fine. We had an ultrasound and got to see our baby and the doctor spent AT LEAST 15 minutes showing us all the little body parts and explaining everything to us. We are having a girl and couldn't be more excited!! We like to keep things even around here :)  And Vienna is beyond thrilled that she is getting a little sister.

 

I had to have some blood taken at my appointment and if you know me, you know that I am terrified of needles. Giving blood is seriously one of my biggest fears. If you even get close to me with a needle I will start to have a panic attack. And the older I get, the worse I am. I don't know how many times I've passed out now from getting a shot/giving blood, but I'm pleased to report that I made it through this time without passing out! I came close though and Joel said the look on my face was priceless when they stuck that needle in my vein. Luckily, I'm told all the time that I have "good veins." So the process is quick and usually painless, it's really just all in my head.  

Another answer to prayer is that my midwife friend in the States has agreed to come and attend the birth. I'm so excited! I really wanted to have a homebirth, but midwives are pretty much unheard of here in our city. And I really didn't want to go to the hospital here, especially since Joel would not be allowed in the delivery room, so we are so thankful for our friend who is willing to travel halfway around the world to deliver our little girl. God is good!


Stay tuned - I have lots of pictures coming up from our recent adventures.

2 comments:

  1. Such great news in the middle of stress! God likes to keep things even too! ;0) I would love to pray for you guys...email me (ashleyredburn@hotmail.com - in case you don't have it anymore).

    ReplyDelete
  2. we are and would love to continue to pray for your family. i know we have been feeling the pressure of the enemy coming down on us hard, but God is so much bigger and gets us through it all!

    i am so excited you can have your baby at home, i was able to witness my friend's home birth, it was amazing!

    ReplyDelete