Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Is This Wrong?

Is this wrong . . .














. . . while this still exists??















The Hebrew Scriptures have a very simple and direct message:

God always hears the cry of the oppressed:

God cares about human suffering and the conditions that cause it.

God is searching for a body, a community of people to care for the things God cares about.

God gives power and blessing so that justice and righteousness will be upheld for those who are denied them.

This is what God is like. This is what God is about. This is who God is.

To forget this, to fail to hear the cry, to preserve prosperity at the expense of the powerless, is to miss what God has in mind.

- Rob Bell, Jesus Wants to Save Christians


8 comments:

  1. thank you...a great reminder that i needed today

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...they say that a picture is worth more than a thousand words! Unfortunately, the "Christianity" we get at church is not the Christianity we get from the Bible.

    I appreciate your heart and your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Charity, check out Ezekiel 16:49-that's what comes to mind when I think about what you posted about

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should have included photos of the STATUES the pastors of some churches have erected of themselves. I was at one of the churches pictured above for a Christmas pageant one year and just felt dismayed by the bronzed statues/busts, fancy coffee shops and GOLD plated bathroom fixtures. Insanity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The word "perverse" comes to mind when I see those pictures.

    I think I'm going to have to read that book you quoted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great reminder - one that makes us keep thinking. I have to be careful because Jesus does want to save Christians, too. I have a tendency to start pointing fingers and I need reminded that we ALL need His grace abundantly!

    ps - to answer your question about the pictures on my blog, I can't think of anything I have done differently (except the one that is a strip of pics). Can you see the ones from today?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this post so much! It has stuck with me and I can't stop thinking about it! I came across your blog while researching adoption. Our family hopes to adopt from Ethiopia as well. Would it be okay if I shared a link over from my blog to this post?

    Thanks so much!
    Brein

    ReplyDelete