Thursday, July 15, 2010

Referral!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are beyond excited to announce that we have accepted the referral of a little 4-5 year old boy in Ethiopia!

We can't believe it, we're still in shock!

We found out about little K on July 9, 2010 - our 5th anniversary. Our agency had sent out an email update to all the families in the adoption process and mentioned that there were about five 4 to 5 year old boys that were waiting for families. As soon as I read the email I just knew we had to call and find out more info. So after we put the kids to bed Joel and I called up AAI (they are 10 hours behind us) and asked if any of the waiting boys had found families yet.

And that's when we found out about little K. They sent us his file and his picture and he is ADORABLE!

I was so excited, but at the same time as I looked at his picture and read his file all these fears started washing over me. K was a little bit older than what we originally thought the child we would adopt would be. I started thinking that I have no idea how to parent a 4-5 year old. I started having so many fears, doubts and questions about my ability to be a mom to this child and if he would even like me.

It just so happened that we had been planning a little anniversary getaway for the next night. Adam and Melanie had agreed to watch the kids overnight and we escaped to a friend's beach house. It worked out perfectly and we had a lot of time to pray for K and really seek God and hear from Him.

As I poured my heart out to God and told him how I was so scared, that I didn't know if I could be a good mom to K, how I didn't know if he would like me, how I know nothing about parenting an older child much less a child that has experienced profound loss and grief, how I just felt so inadequate, but then God reminded me of something.

He reminded me that everything he has asked me to do in my life I have felt inadequate for. I felt inadequate to be able to move to Turkey, I felt inadequate to be able to learn the language, I felt inadequate to raise my children here. I have no idea how to live here and raise my family here, but yet I'm doing it, one day at a time. But I'm not doing it on my own. God just needed to give me a good kick in the butt and remind me of that. I need to be relying on his strength instead of my own so HIS glory will be shown. I can do nothing without Him! And oh how I needed that reminder last weekend.

So I totally felt like God confirmed that, yes, K is our son! And that no matter how inadequate I feel, I'm not doing this alone! I need God's help to be a good mom to Colson and Vienna and I will need God's help to be a good mom to K! And how could we say no? Here was this little boy, who needed a loving family. And here we are- we are that family! So we came back from the weekend excited and ready to add another little boy to our family!

AHHHHHH! I still can't believe it! We absolutely cannot wait to meet our new son!!!!!



I'll update again soon with more details about what happens next. But can I just get another AHHHHHHHHH?!?! :) :)


13 comments:

  1. SOOOOOO Excited for you!!!!! And especially for him. And you can do anything God calls you to do. Period. Even raise a teenager before you are thirty : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. So exciting!

    If it helps boost your confidence, I have a 5 year old and I have no idea how to parent her : )

    Praying for you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! I just wish the courts weren't closing.. now we will have to wait months to see his photo. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That is so exciting! Who knew, but God, that Colson wouldn't be your "oldest" child :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I WONDERED which families would call after that AAI email. And it's you! Congratulations. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh. My. Goodness. I could not be more excited! I would love an email with your son's name, I bet my boys know him! I may have even met him while I was there!!! If you want, email me (ashleyredburn@hotmail.com) and let me know his name, level (probably KG), and how long he's been at Layla! I'm over the moon!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! When it's God's plan you just can't escape it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. CONGRATULATIONS!!! Such wonderful news - can't wait to hear more about him :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A yittle boy???? Ohhhhh--I can see those big brown eyes now! Hugs to you--oh, happy season to dream of your new child! And I "AMEN" the feeling of inadequacy. I've never felt so inadequate as I have as a mother to my daughter, yet so reliant on God. It's a beautiful thing and we are never alone when he does the walking for us.

    Congrats and blessings!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. AHHHH! =)

    Congratulations...we are very excited for you. I completely understand those feelings you went through...and appreciate your honesty. I will be praying for you guys...for a speedy court date and such.

    Since we were just over there and met most of that age group...you could email me (jennimiah@juno.com) with his name and I'd be happy to see if I could remember him or see if I have any pictures from our trip.

    ReplyDelete
  11. congrats!! so exciting and unexpected!! i am thrilled for your family...what an adventure :)

    ReplyDelete