I used to think that materialism was only a big stronghold in America. Then I moved to the other side of the world and the same struggles that were real in America were real over here too.
Before we moved to Turkey many well-meaning people told us to rent a nice apartment, set it up how we like it, basically to make it as comfortable as possible because life here is hard and we deserve to have a nice comfortable home since we “sacrificed” so much to move here. So we listened to others’ wisdom, not God’s. We stepped off the plane and moved to a very nice part of the city and went to Ikea and bought a bunch of nice stuff to fill our nice apartment. But then God started challenging us in a huge way.
Before I get too far, let me just say that there is nothing wrong with having nice things. But I do think there is a huge problem when we feel entitled to our money and things. We sometimes forget that all the stuff we have doesn’t really belong to us. Everything belongs to God; we are only stewards of it. And isn't it God who gave us the ability to produce wealth (Deuteronomy 8:18)? What if we wouldn’t hold onto our things so tightly and realize that God wants us to freely share what we have with those in need, and not just out of our excess? It’s not about giving only when we have extra, it’s about sacrificing things that we don’t need so that others can have the basic necessities of life.
I do think more Americans would be willing to give to those living in poverty, but many of us are just so comfortable in our lives and aren’t confronted with people in need every day. That is exactly how I lived up until a couple years ago; I knew about poverty but it didn’t directly affect me, so I could pretend it didn’t exist, right? Wrong! Even though I could forget that poverty and oppression exists, it is always on God's mind - it is all throughout the Bible. Our God is a God who secures justice for the poor and upholds the cause of the needy (Psalm 140:12). There are nearly 100 passages in the Bible that deal with our responsibiltiy to care for the poor and needy. It is a theme loud and clear throughout the whole Bible, not just a few select verses. It is obvious that these are the things on God's heart and he expects us to do something about it!
Learn to do right! Seek justice, encourage the oppressed. Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow. Isaiah 1:17.
If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. 1 John 3:17-18
I wonder sometimes if I would have been so challenged with all this if God never would have asked us to up and move to the other side of the world. Seeing how other people live really changes the way you think, it really makes you re-evaluate the way you live. Right now we live in a nice apartment building, but right across the street our friends’ home consists of two tiny rooms. Their whole house is smaller than our living room. They all sleep in one room on couches; they lack many of the things that most of us would consider necessities, yet they are very happy.
In the last year God has been challenging us to get rid of those things we don’t need - and let me tell you there were a lot of things we didn’t need! I didn’t realize how much value I put into my possessions until God told me to get rid of them. So we got rid of a lot and it was really freeing. Our neighbors were asking us why our apartment was so bare and we had opportunities to share with some of them about living on less so that others can have more and what we have learned from the Bible about what God expects of us with regard to caring for the poor.
Sometimes it is still really hard for me, I like nice things, I like to wear nice clothes. But wouldn’t you know it - that is exactly the area God challenged me in: "What if you would get rid of more than half of your clothes, Charity? Can you let go of them? No one is going to remember 20 years from now that you didn't have lots of clothes or an apartment full of lots of stuff. What is important to me is that you care about the things that I care about. Please don’t get so caught up in the things of this earth that are going to pass away. Start living with an eternal perspective!"
How many children have I clothed? How many mouths have I fed? How many sick people have I looked after? How many strangers have I invited in? Am I using the resources God gave me to care for the poor, the oppressed, the sick, the orphan, the widow and the lost? Because those are the things that really matter!
‘For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to me.’
Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
The King will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did for the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25: 35-40
Oh, Charity, this is SO good! God has been challenging me a LOT in this area, too. It hasn't been a specific thing or area (yet!), but He has been stirring my heart about children in third world countries. Thanks for being so transparent and also for being so obedient! Praise Him for it!
ReplyDeleteCharity, thank you for this challenge. It is good for us in America to hear from people who are seeing poverty up close & personal. We are embaressingly sheltered from it here (to our own downfall). I need this challenge.
ReplyDeleteI hear you!! Thank you for this message that we all need to be reminded of and encouraged in!
ReplyDeleteThis resonates with me so much! I was painting my toenails the other night, noticing and lamenting some imperfections. I thought to myself that I should buy one of those special creams for your heels so I could have perfect feet. At that point, it struck me like a bolt of lightning how incapable I am of seeing myself how God sees me, how easily I fall into the trap. Man looks at the outward appearance but God looks at my heart. Do I need smooth skin on my heels? When so many can't even protect themselves from disease-ridden insect bites? Do I need more flattering, higher-tech undergarments, when so many have nothing to wear at all? I am so easily deceived! I long for my heart to align with God's. But I always seem to be getting in the way.
ReplyDelete